Saturday, December 29, 2018

Comfy And Cozy Are We

I never got around to posting this project last year, but it's been such a success that I thought it merited a post. My ears had endured several chilly winters in Virginia before I was struck with the (obvious) solution to knit a hat to keep them warm. After so many years in Florida, wool hats did not seem like a necessary winter accessory!

I opted for the Lake Reed pattern, which I thoroughly enjoyed knitting. I used leftover wool from my White Pine cardigan (how did I end up with several extra skeins?), and love the cheery color. It was lovely knitting up something fast after working on the White Pine!




I also made up a pair of fingerless mitts (fingerless mostly because I wasn't confident that I could do full gloves!), and used the Fast and Easy Fingerless Mitt pattern. I over-complicated the pattern by adding a patterned section to the tops. It's not quite centered when I wear them, despite my careful calculations, but I still like it!




I love how useful these projects have been -- they're certainly doing the job of keeping me warmer in chilly temps, and it's rewarding being able to use a hand-knitted project frequently. 




Comfy and cozy are we -- now if I could just wear them for an actual sleigh ride...

4 comments:

  1. I love these, Shannon! I have always liked the look of knitting, although knitting is a challenge for me. I can knit and purl, but have a tough time when things like dropped stitches happen. I'm an avid crocheter, though. :) I enjoy seeing your projects.
    --Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa,

      Thank you! Ah, the dreaded dropped stitch -- I'm finally able to repair some mistakes without ripping back my hard work, but sometimes there's no hope. When I first started, I would literally start an entire project over if I made a mistake, because I couldn't figure out how to fix it! No wonder it took me so long to really start knitting. I'm a very novice crocheter, though, so we balance each other out beautifully. ;-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Oh Shannon! These are so pretty!!! I love fingerless mitts but I don't knit so mine were a treat i purchased - they are recycled cashmere! Lovely English firm called Turtle Doves. Very cosy!!
    I wish you and all the family a healthy,happy and loving New Year xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,

    Thank you! They were easier than I anticipated, which was nice. :-) Ooh, cashmere sounds lovely! What a brilliant idea to recycle cashmere garments.

    Thank you for the well wishes! May the Lord bless you richly in 2019, too!

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!