Friday, March 22, 2019

Desperate Times, Not-So-Desperate Measures

Since moving to a very dry, western climate, my poor feet have been in sad straits. I've struggled with dry, callused skin for years (the one downside to going barefoot most of the time), but those problems quickly developed into painful heel cracks out here. I've managed to get the cracks under control, but the whole fiasco prompted me to finally find a house slipper solution.

Enter, the Minni Slipper. It's a free pattern -- but it's crocheted, which was a bit disconcerting. I've done a tiny bit of crochet in the past (mostly washcloths, and mostly using video tutorials!), but I'm far more comfortable with knitting. Still, the pattern included a healthy dose of photographs, and I thought I could probably work it out.





I used some of my leftover KnitPicks Wool of the Andes Tweed in Reindeer Heather, held double to get the right yarn weight (which made it much more difficult to crochet! But I had the yarn on hand, so...). I've used this yarn for two sweaters, a hat, and now slippers -- and I still have a little left. It is a lovely yarn!

Cue awkward foot selfies!

I did make a few alterations -- crocheting seems very compatible with improvisation. Overall, I really liked the pattern and was pleased that they came together so quickly. It took barely more than a day to make both, even though I had to rip out a total of several inches of work over the course of construction (crocheting novice here!). 

It took a bit of extra time to add some leather soles, but they should help the slippers last longer (and they were incredibly slippery without them).




I may add a little cord or ribbon through the edging, to keep them more secure -- between the low heel and the natural stretching through wear, they feel a bit loose at times. But they certainly do the trick, and are quite cozy to wear around the house!




They're not glamorous, but my feet are thanking me. A little more comfort, a little more crochet practice, and a little more yarn and leather out of the stash. That's enough for me!


Raveled here

2 comments:

  1. I think they look marvelous and oh so comfortable.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!