Sunday, March 24, 2019

'Tis a Gift

Sometimes, simple is best. I don't even bother to document many of my sewing projects -- I don't feel the need to post every last pair of leggings, pajama pants, or basic "necessity sewing" (like the four quilted twin duvet inserts I just made for the littles, composed of cotton batting and muslin; some of the most uninteresting and inconvenient sewing I've ever done!). I tend to focus on projects that involve more creativity, because, quite frankly, they're more fun.

But there are times when the categories converge a bit. Rosa has a few denim skirts that are on the verge of retirement (in fact, one was long overdue), and the easiest solution was to pull out a scrap of thrifted denim and make her a new one. All I needed was a few rectangles -- two large rectangles for the skirt, and two narrow rectangles for the waistband. For a while I was making Rosa's clothes too short, but now I seem to be overestimating! A pair of tucks took care of that, and added a detail to an otherwise plain skirt.

It looks quite "floofy" on the hanger! The denim is a bit stiff, but I think it will calm
down a bit when it's been washed a few times.

Much as I like children's clothing with adjustable waistbands, I don't often make the effort in my home sewn clothing (not that it is much effort). But this time I thought it would be worth it, so the back waist has a channel for adjustable waistband elastic.




Denim skirts are so easy to match, and the simpler the style, the more versatile they are. And this simple project had the added bonus of eliminating another piece of fabric from my stash. I've made efforts here and there over the years to reduce my craft "holdings," but without much effect. But our recent move has compelled me to tackle my stashes with a will, partly through donation but mostly through using up supplies I already have. It helps that I haven't found any good craft supply stores nearby yet!

So here's to simple projects that help to simplify the stash -- less is more, even if it is cliche. Hopefully I can remember that simplicity is a gift long enough to tame my crafting collections...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!