Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Getting to the (Double) Points

I've had 15 sets of 8" double point knitting needles for several years now, and in all that time they've never been organized. They were quite inexpensive on Amazon, and when I was just starting out the idea of having whatever size I needed available was very appealing (and still is!).  They've mostly sat in a jar, and any time I needed a particular size I would pull out the likeliest candidates until I had a full set.




But no more! I recently bough a set of 5" double points because I'd like to be able to work on two socks simultaneously, and thought shorter needles would probably be easier for sock knitting, anyway. I ordered a set of six, but the seller mistakenly sent me a set of fifteen and generously allowed me to keep the extras. If you do the math, thirty sets of double point needles equals 150 needles -- in other words, the potential for a huge mess. 

I used Megan's Double Point Needle Case tutorial, which I found to be immensely helpful. Part of the reason I'd put off making a DPN organizer for so long was the inevitable complication of figuring out how big to make it. Each size of needle takes up a different amount of space, and I wasn't looking forward to measuring and guesstimating and hoping it all worked out in the end. Megan had already figured out the proper spacing for the 15 sizes, and I was more than happy to benefit from her work.




The 8" set required no adjustments, but I did have to adjust slightly for the 5" set (only in height, not width). I wish linen photographed better! The raspberry color was quite difficult to capture. 




I did opt for a simple elastic closure, instead of the strap used in the tutorial. Less work, and it does the job! I also love the whimsical hedgehog fabric, which was an impulse buy at JoAnn's quite a while back. I still have some left, and hope to make something for Rosa with it. Hurrah for using up the stash!




Much to my delight, all of the needles fit perfectly! I didn't end up labeling the sizes -- in the end, I didn't think it worth the effort. Just having each size of needle together will be enough, I think; it's not as if I need to be able to pull out my 3.75mm needles in less than thirty seconds. Having them tidily stowed away is such a lovely feeling.




After over a month without my sewing machine, it was cathartic to sit down and make something (thank goodness knitting is portable!). And finally solving my needle storage issue while using up stash fabric was a bonus. It's always best to just get to the point -- or double points -- don't you think?




2 comments:

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!