Wednesday, March 06, 2019

March Yarn Along: Bookish

March already? It seems like the year just began yesterday. 

My yarn supply was quite limited before I finally found the moving box with my stash -- so I started on another pair of Leftovers Baby Socks using a vintage yellow pima cotton yarn. I found it at a charity shop for a dime, and while the skein was partially used, a tenth of a dollar was still quite a bargain. I've heard 100% cotton is not the greatest fiber for socks, since it lacks elasticity, but I'm hoping that it will be serviceable for baby socks. I hope so, because I probably have enough to make several pairs with my partial skein.

I haven't been knitting much lately, between feathering our new nest, resuming "normal" household and cooking responsibilities, and starting up homeschooling again. And honestly, most of my free time has gone to reading. 




I've paired my knitting with my Bible study journal for two reasons -- first, I'm loving my new journal, which was quite inexpensive on Amazon (I also really like this one, which I may purchase when this journal is full). It's lovely to look at, and I like the way it's arranged. I'm trying to become more consistent with personal Bible study, and am finding this journal quite helpful with that (I'm also using a Navigator's study on the book of Isaiah -- it's very guided, which I find helpful for less "accessible" books like the prophets). 




The second reason is that while I've been reading quite a bit, most of it has been through Kindle and audiobooks! I did read a "real" copy of My Antonia by Willa Cather (my first book by that author -- somehow I'd never read any of her books before), which I found at a local charity shop for five cents. I also listened to Sense and Sensibility read by Rosamund Pike (I highly recommend it, along with her reading of Pride and Prejudice; her voice is delightful), and am currently listening to North and South read by Clare Wille. I've read the book several times and listened to the audio once before, but it's been several years. I haven't been in the habit of listening to audiobooks for some time (I used to listen voraciously as a teenager, when I would sew for hours on end!), but I'm getting back into them and really enjoying the extra "reading" while I work on other tasks. Downloading Audible to my phone has made it even easier -- my old phone didn't have the space for the app, so that's one perk to having to upgrade for our recent move.

I discovered Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley, which was recommended in Book Girl by Sarah Clarkson. It was only a dollar on Kindle, and I can't remember when I've enjoyed a story so much. Truly delightful and whimsical! I just discovered that Christopher Morley also wrote The Haunted Bookshop, which I've just purchased (I had free digital credit!) and hope is as lovely as Parnassus.

I recently finished Joyfully Spreading the Wordwhich was excellent and convicting. And right now I'm eagerly reading Rosaria Butterfield's book on hospitality, The Gospel Comes With a House Key. Both my husband and I devoured her Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert, and I'm just as impressed with this book. Rosaria has a gentle, humble way of challenging "traditional" (but not Biblical) Christian propensities that I find quite refreshing. Her engaging writing is grounded by solid Biblical theology, and I find myself reading "just a bit more."

Oh, I almost forgot It's Not Supposed to Be This Way by Lysa Terkeurst. I rarely buy full price books on Kindle, but I've read a few of Lysa's books in the past and knew that I needed this one. I'm very glad I did buy it, because this book has been one of my greatest comforts as I've been dealing with the complicated and painful emotions that come with losing a baby. Lysa uses so much Scripture, and offers true Biblical encouragement rather than shallow, feel-good platitudes.

Well, looking back over my reading list, I'm not surprised that my knitting has gone so slowly! I've often noticed the ebb and flow of my activities, depending on need and inclination. Right now, filling my mind with wise and beautiful words is the order of the day. Knitting helps me untangle my thoughts and emotions, but sometimes the emotions are still too strong to be calmly "tidied up" with an hour of knitting.

But I do have some new projects on the horizon, most likely involving socks! I have several "Miss Marple" themed patterns, which will likely involved adding some Agatha Christie to my reading list. Perhaps for April's Yarn Along!



Linking up to Ginny's Yarn Along





8 comments:

  1. I love North and South! After watching the BBC film though, I felt the ending in the book very abrupt compared to the film. Still love it though 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to find another "North and South" fan! Though I agree the book ending is rather abrupt. It's such a lovely story, and the character development is superb.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon!
    I also enjoyed North and South. I read it once several years ago, while I was on an exchange program in Brisbane, Australia, where I took several classes on english literatura eventhough I majored in economics, and re-read it after watching the BBC film a couple years ago. I have never listen to a book before, but i might give it a go. Somehow, I can´t picture myself listening to a story instead of curling up in bed at night and Reading a "real" book!
    And thanks for the book recommendations! I checked and Parnassus on wheels is available at my local library! It´s in spanish, though, and from experience I can say some of the meaning is lost during translation (just the title is a bit off in spanish considering the english one...). However, I think i will check it out :-) There are also 2 other books by Christopher Morley available at the library, so as Peppa Pig and my daughter would say, "hooray!".

    I´m reading a couple of books for Lent this year, and my knitting will probably suffer. But, as you say, there are different seasons for everything and right now, reading seems more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elena,

      I'm so glad you enjoyed "North and South," as well! I find it to be such a powerful story, and a good reminder that there are other perspectives besides one's own.

      Audiobooks have been very helpful to me, as it allows me to get in extra "reading" time while I work on something else (sewing or knitting, for example -- or even laundry and cooking!). I tend to do audiobooks of stories I've already read, as it's less important to hear every word if I'm already familiar with the book. "Little Dorrit" will probably be my next audiobook, and I just downloaded Charlotte Bronte's "Shirley," which is another favorite of mine. As long as the narrator is good (I'm very sensitive to reading voices!), I enjoy the experience. I also really like to have them in the car for travel, though I tend to do children's books so my littles can enjoy them, too. I'm amazed at how much they pick up and remember, even when they don't seem to be paying attention.

      I hope "Parnassus" proves to be just as good in Spanish as it is in English! I am wondering how some of it will translate, as it's very firmly set in early 20th century New England. I had the opposite experience with "The Awakening of Miss Prim," which was originally written in Spanish. It's now one of my favorite books (I borrowed it from the library, but ended up buying my own copy!), but I do always wonder if something has been lost in translation.

      It seems like we are both in a "bookish" season right now -- I hope you enjoy your reading! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. I purchased Lysa's book around Christmas time, but will not read it til I'm done with tax season. Looking forward to that. And the House Key- I had heard that mentioned before, but sort of forgot it. Maybe I'll have to scare up a copy. It's kind of a problem I have, when I don't have time to read, I keep buying books to read when I DO have time. I could soon be crushed under my winter buying pile! Thanks for sharing the reading ideas. Nice socks. And I decided last summer to buy a bible, paint the cover ( ran across pictures of several of these and had to try it!), and start taking my notes right inside in the margins and all around. I have usually had a separate journal to write in, but for this season, I'm going to try this method. It's fun to run across notes I wrote several months ago, and see when I was there before. Have never done Navigators, but have friends that have. Have a great month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Lysa's book when you get to it! I can totally relate -- I just purchased a small library from Thriftbooks yesterday, despite having PLENTY of not-yet-read books on my Kindle. But a hefty pile of books to read is a good problem, right? :-)

      I love your Bible notes idea! What a fantastic way to personalize your Bible and keep the notes you make.

      Thanks for your kind words, and for stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. Hello Shannon,

    I haven't popped in for awhile;

    It was lovely to find a few posts to visit.

    Your blog is a safe, cozy haven.
    Thank you.

    I have sewn my own collection of classic and whimsical "izzys" as my daughter grew, long inspired by your projects!

    Thank you for the book suggestions this month;
    I enjoy discovering new titles through "friends"; I too have gone through Lysa's book this winter, and it was just what I needed.
    Real.
    But not empty.
    Instead, full of the character of God.

    I have transitioned to ScribD for my audio book supply; and Holley Gerth's "You're Going to be OK" is my ...refill =) book this month. I veered away from the title for weeks...but I am glad I turned it on. It was just right.

    For a "getaway" book, have you read Miss Buncle by D.E.Stevenson?
    I love the aspect of a book *about* a book.
    And the English village humor.
    "Oh, Money, Money" by Eleanor Porter is similar(?) set in a small-town America. It makes me think of a Norman Rockwell painting.

    God bless you and your littles as you nest & as your heart heals.

    Pain, as hard as it is, does carve out more room to hold love and to hold comfort for others.

    Elisia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elisia,

    Your comment was such a blessing to me! I am so glad that you've enjoyed the blog -- I sometimes think of giving it up, but I keep coming back. It's nice to be able to put my thoughts down, and have a little creative corner of my own.

    Ahh, the inimitable "Izzy!" I think Teri's website is down now, so I'm very glad that I downloaded the pattern years ago!

    I completely agree about Lysa's book -- she doesn't pull any punches about how much life hurts sometimes, but she points back to God throughout. It's such a fine line, being honest without despair, being encouraging without belittling the painful effects of a fallen world.

    I'll have to check out ScribD! I've used Audible because I keep getting free promos (or very inexpensive audiobooks via Amazon), but I'm always up for a new source! I'll have to look into "You're Going to Be OK."

    Yes, I have read Miss Buncle! I can't remember how I was introduced to it, but it's delightful! The English village humor is spot-on. Have you read the sequels? I need to get my hands on more D.E. Stevenson books, if they're anywhere near as good as the Miss Buncle books.

    I'll look for "Oh, Money, Money" -- the littles and I are currently reading "Just David" by Eleanor Porter for our read-aloud literature, so I'd love to try another of her books.

    Thank you for your kind words -- you've no idea how much they mean to me. God is so gracious, but putting a heart back together is slow, painful work. It's good to be reminded that the pain isn't wasted!

    May the Lord richly bless you!

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!