Tuesday, March 12, 2019

This One's in the Bag

I made a knitting project bag just over four years ago, but shortly afterward it was commandeered for other uses -- primarily for storing my matching Baby K'tan. I never did get around to making another bag, though I did find a small reusable tote at JoAnn's that has worked pretty well. 

Fast forward several years, and I realized that a smallish knitting bag would make project transportation much easier. I worked up a design in Photoshop inspired by this bag from Fringe Supply and had it printed on a canvas bag from Zazzle. But the bag was too large, the handles too short (for a bag that size, I feel like the handles should fit over your shoulder, and these did not!), and it just wasn't quite right. Solution? Cut off the printed design and fashion it into a "just right" bag:

I'm dedicated to a healthy, high-fiber lifestyle! *wink*

I used This Handmade Life's knitting bag pattern and tutorial, which was perfect. I combined my printed canvas fabric with grey linen for the exterior and white linen for the interior. I had to get a little creative with the cutting to accommodate the canvas panel, but fortunately it worked. The straps were salvaged from the canvas bag, as well. 




At first I thought I'd "trick out" the inside with custom pockets and features, but in the end I settled for a double pocket. I wasn't really sure what features I'd actually use, and to be honest, I was in a sewing craze after just getting my machine unpacked and didn't feel like taking longer than necessary.





I've not used it much so far, but I did take it outside today so that I could knit a few rows while supervising Scout as he tromped around the backyard. There's no seating out there yet (plus, it was cold and wet), so I hung the bag from my wrist and it worked like a charm.


I'm stashbusting some vintage pima cotton yarn that I picked up for $0.10 at
a charity shop -- more Leftovers Baby Socks!

While this bag will probably be too small for adult sweaters or other large projects, it's just the ticket for small, portable knits -- and with four children, there's plenty of "little knitting" to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!