Saturday, March 09, 2019

Leftovers Baby Socks

I was terrified while making my Mirkwood socks that I would run out of yarn. I had as much as the pattern called for, but for some reason as I reached the heel area, there just didn't seem like there would be enough. Well, not only was there enough, there was leftover! With no other yarn or needles available (we were still in our hotel, and I'd only brought my Mirkwood project with me), I needed something that would use a small amount of fingering yarn and size 2.25mm needles. 

A quick search on Ravelry produced the aptly named Leftovers Baby socks


KnitPicks Gloss Fingering in "Doe." Baby socks in merino and silk? Yes, please!

These didn't keep my occupied for long, though, because they knit up quite quickly! It was the perfect follow-up to my labor intensive Mirkwoods. I love to balance harder projects with quick knits; it keeps up one's knitting morale.




My only problem now is that I still have leftover yarn, though I'm not sure if it's enough to make another pair of baby socks.




Of course, if you let a girl knit socks, she'll need some sock blockers! After contemplating some of the lovely wooden options available (and realizing I could probably make my own -- except that all of our tools and supplies are still packed up in the garage), I opted to get a set a flexible cutting mats and make my own, using the Cyber Seams templates as my basis. I was able to get both sets of blockers out of a single cutting mat, so I have plenty left for other sizes!




It's hard to make baby projects just now, knowing that the sweet baby we lost will never get to wear them. We hope we'll be blessed with another child, but if two miscarriages have taught me anything, it's that life holds no guarantees that we'll get what we want. The guarantee that God will work all things for good should be more than enough, but it can be difficult to let go of my ideas of "good."

But one way or another, whether these little socks are worn by a "rainbow" baby, or gifted to someone else, they'll be guaranteed to keep some precious little toes warm!


Raveled here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!