Monday, April 01, 2019

Hedgehogs and Serendipity

I'm so chuffed that Rosa still loves the things I sew for her! Of course, I give myself an advantage when I use hedgehog fabric...


Admittedly, Rosa did think at first that they were puppies hiding under bushes!

I had fabric left over from my double point needle cases, and when I found SewPony's free Dulcie dress pattern recently, I was inspired to try it out right away! I printed only the bodice pieces, because I already had a skirt. I'd made a linen blend wrap skirt over two years ago, and only wore it once or twice. It just didn't work, much as I wanted it to. It didn't look right with any of my tops, and I was disappointed to have wasted money and time. Not a very serendipitous start! I stuffed it away in the stash, and several times it was nearly thrown out altogether. But I knew I could at least get a pair of baby pants out of it, so I kept it. And now I'm glad I did! I cut off the waistband, added a center back seam, and stitched on some pockets. I was even able to use the leftover wrap skirt ties:




I changed a few things about the dress -- I altered the back to button up instead of zip, and added a short placket in the skirt back to accommodate that change. I also added the contrast sleeve band, a coordinating detail on the bodice, and a bias binding for the neckline. Fortunately, I still had the scraps from my original wrap skirt (I hoard linen scraps!), so I had a little extra fabric to work with.





For a final touch? A little fabric hair clip, made with the very last fragments of fabric.




I'm so pleased with how this turned out! Serendipitous, indeed. I have another wrap skirt in khaki linen that may meet the same fate if this dress is a success with its new owner...

4 comments:

  1. Such a sweet little dress and I love the matching hair clip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I've been wanting to make a chambray hair bow for a while, so this worked out beautifully. :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful and fun! I'm sure your daughter will love it! The hedgehog fabric is wonderful...She's truly blessed to have such a talented Mom. Linn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linn,

      Thank you so much for your kind words! I was skeptical about making an entire dress in the hedgehog fabric, so I was happy to find a way to use it without it being too overpowering.

      I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!