Friday, May 17, 2019

In This Valley

It's Spring in this valley that we now call home. Our little corner of the world is so beautiful, so unfamiliar to me. Before this move I'd spent all but three years of my life in the eastern United States, ranging from Key West, Florida, to Chester County, Pennsylvania. While there was some diversity in climate and landscape, this is entirely new. New animals, new birds, new vegetation, new climate -- even new elevation, at just over 4,000 feet above sea level!




I feel a bit out of my depth here, I'll admit. I'm not used to being quite so clueless about my surroundings. Our community relies on irrigation for farming, and they "turn on" the water in the Spring. I've never lived in a place where water is a seasonal commodity! There's a livestock sale building not far from us, and there are cows in every direction. And goats. So many goats. People still ride horses and rope cattle here, and "Ag" (agriculture) is an abbreviation I've quickly learned. It's a different way of life than I've been used to, and I'm eager to learn more while we're here.

Spring has brought an amazing transformation to the landscape, which was almost barren when we moved in January. Barren, but in a beautiful kind of way. I associate lack of foliage with drabness, but there was still so much color, even in the dead of winter. An unfamiliar palette, as so much here is unfamiliar. Now I miss the snow-caps on the mountains and the pale, leafless branches of the trees that I can't yet name. But I also love that the hills are purple now, that they change color as the sun shifts in the sky and the clouds form shadowy patterns on their flanks. And now that the silent winter calm has been replaced with bird song, I'll gladly wait a few months for those snow-caps to return.

Our back yard is entirely dirt and gravel -- in fact, landscaping with rocks is a bit of an art form here! It makes for easy maintenance, and our community center has a nice grassy patch when I'm craving some green. We do have a lovely little tree that's big enough to provide shade, and I like to park my folding camp chair under it and knit while Scout explores the yard. We've just put in two bird feeders, both seed and nectar variety, and within a few hours there were house finches and chickadees flocking to the feast. We've had a hummingbird visit several times now, too, so my avian joy is complete. Rosa was able to pet a chickadee the other day, lucky duck. Laddie also found a bird and brought it to me, but unfortunately his was deceased... cue thorough hand washing.

We've had to look up some of the other birds we've seen. I'm still startled every time I see quail scurry across the road, their little black head feathers bobbing up and down. I spotted a kingbird the other day, though I had no idea what it was -- and couldn't even see it clearly. I just snapped a photo with the zoom lens and identified it at home.





But far and away the most striking (and noisy) birds here are the yellow-headed blackbirds. They're quite stunning to look at, and I love to spot them down among the rushes in the ditch. Goodness, they can screech, though. Apparently we live in an Audubon "important bird area," so I hope to become familiar with many other species, too.







We're settling in to our new home, and the progress is encouraging. I am trying to minimize our belongings and figure out good ways to store the things we keep. It's been wonderful living in brand-new base housing, because I have no urges to "improve" the house itself. We can hang as many pictures as we want, so we'll be depending on wall art to personalize our home. It's lovely to be free of the desire to change things (which inevitably involves time and money), though I'm sure I'll be glad to have that opportunity again if we move back to Virginia after this tour.

But for now, we're here in this valley, and we plan to make ourselves at home.


7 comments:

  1. Shannon, it is wonderful to hear of you enjoying the LORD's creation. I too enjoy watching the birds and trying to identify them. Here in the Nebraska panhandle, the King Bird is also called the Cat Bird. It is fun to watch them swoop down and "attack" the cats if they get too close to their tree and nest. They have a lovely song early in the morning. The Yellow-Headed Blackbird is only a passerby at our house, but they are well established in another area. Like you say they are stunning. We have the Red-Winged Blackbird that stays at our house and yes they screech also, but I love to hear it. It is lovely and comforting that says spring and summer are here. The Killdeer is also another noisy bird and yet fun to watch and hear. It's fun to watch them run across the ground. You'll always know when they are flying by the distinct call they make.
    I miss the mountains from where I grew up in New Mexico, I could see three different mountain ranges from where I lived (Jemez Mountains, Pecos Mountains, and the Monzano Mountains). Most times the snow caps stayed on top well into June!
    Enjoy your new home and area and have fun exploring all the new sites. I enjoy hearing about your adventures, activities and new sites, along with your sewing adventures.:) Have a blessed day and enjoy where you are at and may you shine bright for JESUS for someone who needs HIM.
    Blessings,Carie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carie,

      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's lovely to know that we enjoy some of the same birds, even though we're divided by several states. I haven't identified the King Bird call yet, but then again I've only spotted one so far. I'm pretty sure I hear a Western meadowlark sometimes, but I haven't recognized one in person yet. We are getting a few yellow-headed blackbirds at our feeder now -- well, under it! The feeder I got is a bit small for such a large bird. They poke their beaks down in the rocks and kick with their back feet to dislodge the stones! I've just looked up a killdeer, and am almost certain I saw one on the way to church today -- I was puzzled, because it reminds me of a shore bird. I'll have to start listening for them.

      Well, we've gotten a sprinkling of snow on a few local mountains, thanks to the recent cold, wet weather! But we have to drive a little ways to get to any larger mountains. It sounds lovely where you grew up in NM!

      I'm so glad you're enjoying our new adventures! I'm sure I'll have more to share over the next few years. I hope you have a blessed day, too, sister in Christ!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon , looks like you are settling into your new home. I have just had a lovely catch up on a few of your posts, you really have been busy!! Love, love your brown linen tova, and penny dress! I do not know how you fit all your projects in?! And I am amazed how big the children are! Growing up fast!
    Looking forward to seeing your next projects - I'm sure you have plenty planned! Best wishes to all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anna,

      I'm so glad you've enjoy the recent posts! I've been on a sewing binge lately, hence all of the projects -- it's felt good to have my machine back after the moves. I do love sewing, so it often takes precedence over other things (like a perfectly clean house... or a social life! Haha!).

      I know, the "littles" are getting bigger faster than I can believe. It's exciting and terrifying at the same time. ;-)

      Thank you so much for taking the time to write such kind words!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. All the best to you as you transition to a new home and environment . It looks like you are surrounded by beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Navy has its drawbacks, but one of its best advantages is being "forced" to have new adventures!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. Killdeer are shore birds, but they also are plentiful in agricultural areas, and they nest in "short grass prarie", which,I guess, includes pastures.
    Meadow larks are Robin sized, with a yellow belly and a distinct black v on their chest. Their call is one of my favorites. -Laura O.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!