Monday, April 06, 2020

Little Emperor

As I was working on my oldest son's Thistle sweater, I hit a wall while working the sleeve cap -- I tried several different wrap-and-turn methods, but nothing was coming out right (hello, holes). I'd just had the same struggle on the heels of Rosa's "Royal Rye" socks, and was tired of re-knitting the sleeve cap over and over. So I started another pair of socks, instead. 

Using the same merino wool I used for Rosa's socks (in colorway "Empire" this time), I cast on a pair of ankle socks for Little Man. I've tried making him socks once before, but they ended up being too large and I commandeered them. This merino yarn is so soft and squishy that it took some willpower to resist claiming this pair for myself, too! I'm calling them his "little emperor" socks, because the colorway name fits perfectly with our current homeschool study of Ancient Rome. 




Of course, casting on a pair of ankle socks was a foolish way to avoid wrap-and-turn problems -- within a few rows, I was ready to start the heels and in the very same short-row quandary that made me pause the Thistle sweater (so to escape my problem I created an identical problem. Good planning, that...). I could have just used the heel flap from the Rye pattern, but I really don't like heel flaps -- even though they supposedly last longer. A bit of searching brought up the Fish Lips Kiss Heel, which is only $1 on Ravelry. So many people raved about it that I had to try it. It ended up being the solution to not only my heel issues, but also my sleeve cap dilemma! I'm looking forward to having a "go-to" heel pattern for socks from now on. The pattern includes detailed instructions for making socks even if you don't have the recipient present, which I'd also love to explore at some point. I used to be terrified of sock knitting, but now I find it remarkably relaxing and satisfying. 





With another pair of socks off the needles, I was motivated to finish up the Thistle sweater once and for all. The sleeve caps turned out much better using the Fish Lips Kiss short row method, and after that it was a matter of finishing up the sleeves and weaving in ends and such. 

Little Man is thrilled with his new footwear, and it's so gratifying to see my littles wearing their handmade socks around the house! Perhaps it's time to knit a pair each for Laddie and Scout...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!