Sunday, April 11, 2021

Little Ray of Sunshine (or Izzy, Again)

 If my calculations are correct, I haven't made an "Izzy" dress for Rosa in over four years (I loved that little dress!). As long-time readers may remember, over the years I made nine of these dresses from size 18 months to size 5 -- just search "Izzy" in the sidebar for proof! I can't think why it's been so long since I've made one, and also can't believe this is my 10th Izzy. But I'm ever so glad I saved both the toddler and girl sized files for this pattern -- when I made my very first Izzy I mentioned that digital patterns sometimes disappear, and sure enough the files are no longer available now that the designer, Teri, has taken down her blog (Climbing the Willow).

Through the generosity of a reader and fellow knitter (whom I've dubbed my "fairy yarn-mother," but that's a story for another day), I came into possession of yards and yards of sunny yellow gingham. Not the unpleasant poly-blend that used to be all you could find at fabric stores, but a sturdy cotton with a small check. Just right for my sunny eight-year-old. As I look back through my blog posts, I realize this isn't the first time I've made an Izzy in gingham

For Easter Sunday, Rosa wore her new Izzy and I wore my coral gingham Penny dress by Sew Over It. It was lovely that we could "match," while the different colors and check sizes (not to mention different styles of dress) were still unique.




I sewed up a size 8 bodice with a size 10 skirt (lengthened a bit, to accommodate growth). Thank goodness I remember how to construct it, since the accompanying tutorial vanished with Teri's blog! 




For the closure, I opted for a KAM snap. I love the simplicity of this pattern (though there are many ways to modify and embellish it). At first I worried it would be too plain, but in the end I'm glad I didn't add anything. 




I made a tiny version while I was at it, for another sunny girl -- and I still have yards of gingham left! 


4 comments:

  1. Both dresses are lovely. You are definitely a seamstress!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Carie!

      Delete
  2. Lovely tops and dresses! Like you, I've been a huge fan of the Izzy Top over several years, have made loads, and I was SO disappointed when Teri's blog disappeared. While I have my own PDF copies of both sizes of Izzy (including the tutorial), I am always being asked - 'Where can I get the Izzy pattern?' and sadly the answer has to be 'Nowhere'. I contacted Teri a while back and she said it would go onto Textillia after the demise of Bluprint. It's certainly referenced there, but there's no click through. Very sad, it's such a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,

      Thank you! I know, it was so sad when the patterns went down! My daughter didn't fit the 6-12 at the time, so I'm glad I'd downloaded it anyway. I hope it becomes available again one day.

      And it's lovely to see a fellow "Izzy" fan! I've just visited your blog -- you have four very blessed granddaughters!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!