Saturday, April 09, 2022

Last Spring

 Somehow, we're on our fourth and final spring out west. We moved here in the midst of winter just over three years ago, and watched our little valley slowly unfold under the warm, western sun for the first time. And now here we are, three springs later and preparing to move back east.

I haven't had a good ramble in a while, so this will probably be a bit-of-this, a bit-of-that sort of post.



Disclaimer: all the cow photos are from January -- there's far more green now!








More and more rainbows have been finding their way into my life (this mug was my first faith purchase after we found out about this little one), and I'm treasuring the growing bump that signifies life within. I feel such relief in the first few days after my weekly doppler checks, and then as the week wears on I start to wonder... I'm fifteen weeks today, and counting down every day. We're finally past the gestation where we lost Baby J -- that's the one that's been weighing most on my mind from the start. It doesn't mean we're safe from loss now, but it's a relief to pass that particular milestone.




Obviously a few weeks ago! I'm trying to take more bump
pictures with this pregnancy.


I'm currently going through Spurgeon's commentary on the Psalms as my daily devotional. The two volumes of commentary cost less than a dollar at a charity shop, a small price to pay for such spiritual riches! It's slow going, both due to my time limitations and his eloquence. But perhaps that's for the better. It's also giving me the chance to "mark up" my illuminated Psalms journal, which I am very much enjoying. My Bible has room for notes, but not nearly this much! I'm hoping this is something I can come back to repeatedly over the years (though same pages are already quite full...) -- I'm adding dates to my entries, so I have some time reference for my comments and the (many) quotations from Spurgeon. He's so quotable! I think I'll break this study up into three 50-psalm units, and pause between them for some of the other studies that are waiting for me.




I'm also going to be starting a new prayer journal soon, as this one's nearly full! This journal was a gift from my women's Bible study when I moved out west. It seems appropriate that I'll just be finishing it when I move back. I highly recommend a prayer journal if, like me, you've always struggled to be consistent in prayer (and especially intercessory prayer -- it's so easy to forget who you've promised to pray for!). Inspired to start a journal by a friend from that same Bible study, I chose a "monthly" format. Rewriting my requests every month allows me to see what prayers have been answered, keep my list updated with the "latest" for each person/request, and even functions as a journal of sorts. It's evolved over the past few years, but now I have a structure that works for me and it's proven to be such a blessing.





One of the things we'll miss most about our town is the little Indian food truck! My lands, those folks can cook! The lady who runs the truck knows our order now, because we're creatures of habit. I always, always order the Lamb Rogan Josh -- because if local lamb is an option, why not? It's one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. We're trying out some Indian recipes (mild!), and this Tikka Masala was our best effort so far:




There are so many calves in the neighboring fields just now! Two itty bitty calves were butting heads in a field as we drove by the other day. It's going to feel odd not to see hundreds of cows on my way to the grocery store after we move.






I happened to plan chicken pot pie on "Pi Day" (3/14), so I had to make a circular pie instead of the rectangular casserole I'd anticipated! Which also meant I had to make two pies, because my children eat like strongmen. Interestingly, I made a gluten-free pie crust for the second pie, and that was more of a hit than my faithful Betty Crocker crust on the "normal" pie. Go figure.



Rosa left me the sweetest message on my pincushion -- the downside being, that I can't bring myself to use those pins now...



I also had a massive knitting fail recently! My Ivy cowl, despite some modifications intended to avoid this issue, was a decided flop! Ah, well, I can reuse the yarn -- and I did learn some interesting stitch designs. I may give this another shot with a lighter yarn (mine was held double to get the weight, and I think it would be better with a yarn that has some drape).


I suppose this might have made an effective face covering two
years ago! Haha!


Some naughty little boy decimated a clump of daffodils at our church -- so we recued a few stems, and brought them home for our own enjoyment. I can't wait to have my garden back next spring! Bulbs are perfect for these black thumbs of mine; they're so easy and reliable. I am a little anxious to see what our house/garden is like after three years of renters, but I'm also just eager to be home.



We're finishing up our last few weeks of home school, and I'll feel relieved when that's done -- much as I love educating my children (and myself!), both the pregnancy and the upcoming move are taking up quite a bit of my energy -- mostly mentally, at this point. We'll all be ready for a break, and I'd like to take some final "field trips" while the weather's nice. I suspect we'll be taking some field trips back East, too, since much of what we've studied about early American history will be right around the corner. How I've missed Williamsburg! Perhaps that will be a good break from all the unpacking.

I've actually made it into my sewing room recently, so hopefully I'll have some stitchy projects to share soon. And I cast off a pair of socks, which means I need another "travel" project! It will probably be -- you guessed it -- more socks. *wink* What I really want to knit are little baby things, but I'm waiting to find out the gender before I go too crazy. I'm excited by the prospect of an October baby; lots of cozy knitting potential there. And what I ought to be doing is preparing for this move (it's shocking how much clutter can accumulate in three years when you have four littles!), as we'll quickly be entering single digits in our weekly countdown -- a thought that's simultaneously exhilarating and a bit alarming! Hmm, what to tackle first... 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!