Friday, June 03, 2022

Resurrected

About two years ago, I made a maxi dress out of this dusty rose rayon jersey -- and it was an utter flop. It was inspired by the empire-waist maternity/nursing friendly dresses I'd seen, but my design just didn't work. Perhaps I can blame the unexpectedly, excessively stretchy fabric? The flutter sleeves were far from flattering, the weight of the skirt stretched the bodice too far, the ruffles on the v-neck weren't proportioned right, and the high-lo hem just looked odd. I wore it once, shortened the bodice (which actually made it too short, ugh!), wore it once more, and then let it languish in my closet. As the rainbow pregnancy I hoped would be right around the corner turned into a series of miscarriages, there seemed little point in bothering with it.

Early this spring, I realized that I still had a yard of material left. All the dress really needed was a new bodice, and surely I'd have enough for that.

I pulled out Butterick 5242, a pattern I've posted twice on the blog before (here and here) but I've actually made five times. You can see one I made two years ago in my 16 week bumpdate photo, but the other two don't have pictures yet -- one is new, and the other is at least three years old. 



20 weeks with little Kit


This dress definitely needs a neckline filler, but that's part of what makes it nursing friendly. My favorite option is a "demi cami," essentially a tank top cut off at the midriff (you can see a photo if you scroll down in this post). I don't mind wearing them, as they don't add much bulk or warmth, and they certainly expand my wardrobe options. I actually need to make a few more, as several of mine are well past their prime. 

The skirt is salvaged from my maxi dress, so this is my most "unique" version of this pattern -- though I actually stayed closer to the pattern for the bodice this time. Most of my versions have been sleeveless, with self-drafted facings for the armholes, but I decided to use the sleeve pattern (shortened, I think?) for this dress. I don't like the look of the sleeves on the pattern cover, but I think the lightweight fabric helps. I'm also happy with my decision to actually line the bodice, rather than face the neckline edge like I usually do. The latter works well for more structured knits, but this silky jersey needed some extra oomph. The waistband is also double-layered, to help support the weight of the skirt. 




I redid the original hem to make the high-lo a bit less dramatic, and also shortened the skirt a bit. I think the length was part of what made it look odd before -- though, you can't judge for yourself, as apparently I was disappointed enough with the first version that I never took photos of it!  

This dress hung in my closet for a few weeks before it was ever worn, due to our very chilly spring. I thought it would be quite appropriate to wear on "Resurrection Day" (Easter), as the dress itself was resurrected -- but Kit's gender reveal scan the day before called for a blue dress, instead. *wink* I'm not sure if this will make it all the way through nine months of pregnancy, as my bump already feels ominously large, but it's quite comfortable now and should be perfect post-partum. 

Not all sewing flops have happy endings, so I'm grateful this project had a chance at redemption.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous re-fashion of the dress! You are one of those glowing pregnant ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! My daughter took these photos the day after 20 weeks -- so grateful to reach that milestone!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. So happy that everything seems to be going smoothly for you!! I've been praying for you! The dress looks so nice, if you're like me you hate to waste money on fabric that turns into a flop! So it is great that you could make it wearable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, and especially for the prayers! Yes, I absolutely dread flops -- often I procrastinate cutting out or starting a project for that reason (not like that helps...).

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!