Saturday, February 23, 2019

Reflections

It's been so long since I've been in this little space that talking about Christmas is truly "looking back." But the close of 2018 felt like that in many ways, as we contemplated our (nearly) four years in Virginia drawing to a close.




I took some time in the midst of the holiday hubbub to make two little stockings for our Christmas tree this year. It seemed a good way to remember both of the little babies we've lost in December. This was my first foray into sock-making (Raveled here and here), and I "embroidered" our babies' initials in silk floss.



There were celebrations, too, as Little Man turned a not-so-little eight years old this December. I usually try to surprise them with a themed cake, but he very specifically requested a desert cake with his green pickup truck on top. And he wanted to help decorate it! I'm no professional decorator, clearly -- but I am blessed with children who have low standards in that department. They're always delighted with their cakes, and I hope it stays that way (because I doubt my skills are going to magically improve as they get older...)




December was a month of goodbyes, as we prepared to head west. Sadly, we had to part with our "girls" -- here they are having a final hen party before being packed up for their new home. Happily, a really sweet family answered our Craigslist ad, and we have high hopes that there will be mutual satisfaction between hens and new owners.




A last trip to the zoo, as well. Some of the animals that are usually harder to spot were "up close and personal" that day, much to our delight. I'm personally a fan of Fennec foxes, and this fellow seemed as curious as we were:




 One of the tigers came right up to the viewing window as we arrived, and prowled back and forth for several minutes while we watched:




And the reptiles are a bit easier to spot in their smaller enclosures -- but still, this fellow was right up against the glass for us:




Of course, there were much more painful goodbyes, as we parted with friends and church family. I'm so glad we were able to celebrate one more Christmas in Virginia before moving. It was a joyful but peaceful day, just the way I like it best.

And just like that, 2018 was over and 2019 began. The first days of January were an exhausting, hectic blur, and before long, we were on our way west...


4 comments:

  1. Hope you are settling in nicely in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! We still have a few bits left (mostly pictures and garage organization), but we're getting there!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Dear Shannon,
    its great to hear from you again. It seems like the new year has brought a lot of change for you all. I hope you settle son at your new place, and I can´t wait to hear about your "adventures" :-)
    I have seen on ravelry all the new projects you have added. The socks you knitted for yourself are beautiful! I love them! And may I ask, that pair of baby socks you knitted, which size are they? I have recently finished a pair of kids socks (the pattern is free, it is called "two Little feet") in size 4 year old, but i think that pattern wouldn´t be so nice for younger kids/babies and was looking for another free one for a 6-12 month old baby.
    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena,

    Thank you! It's good to be back. :-)

    Ah, yes, I've been busy on Ravelry! All of my recent projects will be appearing on the blog soon-ish, but you've got a sneak peek. Those adult socks were a labor of love -- the lace repeat is about 30 rows. Eek.

    As for the baby socks, the pair that I've made and blocked measure 3 1/2" long. I'm not exactly sure what size they'd be, since I don't have a baby to try them on. According to a size chart I found, that would about a US2, or 9 cm. So a bit on the smaller side, perhaps? My kids always have tiny feet, so they would probably be 6-12 months for our family! I think they wouldn't be too difficult to adjust (especially the foot length), and they knit up super quickly.

    I've saved the sock pattern you mentioned (I'd like to knit more of my kids' socks!), so thank you for that! And if you find the perfect baby/toddler sock, let me know. :-)

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!