Saturday, December 15, 2018

For Unto Us: A Grief Reobserved

When we lost our first baby almost five years ago, it was a watershed moment in my life. Instantly, we became part of the unwilling "club" of parents who have lost a child -- a membership I'd hoped I'd never have. While the grief of losing a child will never fully fade, the passage of time and the birth of two babies in the interval have softened the sting. Thoughts of our daughter are now wistful might-have-beens.

With a sixth pregnancy underway, I asked the Lord to help me hold this gift loosely -- trusting Him with the outcome. I hoped that we'd be blessed with a healthy baby, and was grateful for an easy pregnancy. And then, the day before my 16 week appointment, I began to suspect something was wrong. My appointment the next day confirmed my worst fears. Our baby was already gone.




All-too-familiar emotions washed over me. How could this be happening again? I'd convinced myself that our first loss was a "fluke" (humanly speaking), and while I knew mentally that loss can happen at any stage of pregnancy, I'd breathed a sigh of relief when I crossed that first trimester threshold. Even now the grief is too raw for me to wrap my mind around it. 

For unto us a child was born -- too soon, too small, too perfect for words. Blessedly, he was born at home before the scheduled D&E. While I still needed the procedure, it no longer held the same dread because he'd already come. In fact, I welcomed the idea of general anesthesia; at least for a little while I would be literally unconscious to the emotional pain of losing my son. But numbness wears off, and in its wake I struggled -- still struggle -- to deal with the hormone-accentuated grief. As Christmas carols echo in stores, on the radio, in my mind, I keep coming back to one:

Born that man no more may die.


Death has made itself an unwelcome guest in our home for a second time. But we do not grieve without hope -- a Savior has already come, taken on our flesh, died to atone for our sin, and risen from the dead. He has defeated death by His own death and resurrection, forever depriving it of its sting. And when He returns, death will be a thing of the past. While I don't believe the Bible directly addresses what happens to miscarried babies, I do know that I can trust that whatever God wills is right. He created our baby and trusted him to us for a few brief weeks; we can trust Him with our little one for eternity.

Life hasn't lost all of its sweetness, and I cling to the gifts I see around me with a fresh awareness of how precious they are. Too often I take my sweet family for granted, forgetting that they are blessings I don't deserve and can't retain in my own strength. I also think of the not-so-small mercies that mark the past few weeks. If I hadn't started spotting the day before that appointment, I'd have been completely blindsided by the news. My appointment was scheduled with my favorite midwife at my practice. The doctor on call at the hospital for my D&E was the only OB/GYN I've seen at my (rather large) practice, and she remembered my husband and me from the few appointments we had with her at the beginning of Scout's pregnancy. Everywhere I turn, I see God's care and goodness in the midst of the pain and confusion.

Miscarriage seems so futile. Why should a life end before it's even entered the world? And yet, I ask myself, when would it have been "okay?" I recently read of someone who lost a healthy baby at full term. There's a family in our community who just lost their one-year-old to cancer after a year-long battle. My own grandmother lost a son at seven years old (the day before his eighth birthday, which hits home for me this year as my oldest son just turned eight this month) and a middle-aged daughter many years later. Had my baby lived, it's not as if we would have been guaranteed he'd be have a long, healthy life. That knowledge doesn't dull the pain of his loss, but it helps me keep my perspective when my heart can't see straight. 

Step by step, God will lead us down this road again. He is comforting us and will continue to do so. And though it's hard to imagine, He will bring us to a place where we can look back on this time with less anguish. But standing here, only a few steps down that road, every fiber of my being just wants to rewind, to go back to a time when we were blissfully hopeful, blissfully ignorant of what lay ahead. 


Behold, I go forward, but He is not there,

and backward, but I do not perceive Him;

on the left hand when He is working, I do not behold Him;
He turns to the right hand, but I do not see Him.
But He knows the way that I take;
when He has tried me, I shall come out as gold.

Job 23:8-10, ESV



We would greatly appreciate your prayers as we grieve for our little one.








18 comments:

  1. Shannon, I am so very, very sorry. I don't know you, but my heart is aching for you tonight. I've had two losses myself, and although they were much earlier than yours, I have known a bit of that deep and raw pain. May you know even more deeply Christ's abiding faithfulness, even in this valley. I will certainly be praying for you.

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,

      Thank you for your comfort -- and I am so sorry for your losses, as well. I've only known "late first trimester" loss, but I would imagine that losing a child is equally painful no matter what stage. Your prayers are much appreciated!

      Sincerely,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Im so sorry, Shannon. I cant even begin to imagine the pain you abd your family are feeling. We will be praying for your sweet baby boy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I’m so, so sorry to hear this. I will pray for comfort for you as you grieve the loss of your precious little one. Love and hugs to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura -- I so appreciate your prayers and comfort!

      Hugs,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. Shannon,
    I am praying for you right now.

    Love in Christ,
    Rachel Short

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Shannon,

    I cannot begin to tell how sad I was to read this post. Ever since I read your words yesterday you have been on my heart and in my prayers. I have had two losses, which were mercifully earlier. Losing a baby is so,so hard. I cannot imagine how women without a faith in Jesus face the loss. I am praying that you will sense the presence of Jesus, and feel His peace and comfort through this time of grieving. I am so very sorry for your loss.

    Love and Hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sarah,

      Thank you so much for you comfort and prayers -- it means so much. And I am so very sorry for your losses, as well; no matter how early the loss, losing a child is incredibly painful and difficult. With both of my miscarriages, I have been struck by how many women in my life have shared their own losses when they found out about mine. I am so grateful for their love and comfort, and feel that it is one of the ways Christ has expressed His care for us during this time.

      Hugs,
      Shannon

      Delete
  6. Shannon,
    I was so sorry to read about your loss. I am praying for you, Pablo & your family .

    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tracy.

      Sincerely,
      Shannon

      Delete
  7. Oh Shannon, I am so sorry for you all. This must be nearly unbearable, and for the second time. We will pray for you all. While I never miscarried, I can only imagine. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danice -- we are counting our blessings (of which there are many!), but it just does take time for the hurt to heal.

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  8. Shannon, I am so very sorry to read this. I shall pray for you and your family. Sending virtual hugs to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna -- prayers (and hugs!) are much appreciated.

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  9. Shannon, my heart lurched when I read this. I am so, so sorry. You and your family will be in our family's prayers. I hope and pray that Jesus will wrap you in His peace, presence, and comfort during this difficult time.
    Love,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa,

      Thank you so much for your prayers and kind words -- both are much appreciated. The Bible says that the Lord is close to the brokenhearted, and I am so grateful for His love and care (partly expressed through sweet people like you!) during this time. Have a very Merry Christmas!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!