Sunday, April 25, 2021

Lucie's Pinny

One day little Lucie came into the farm-yard crying -- oh, she did cry so! "I've lost my pocket-handkin! Three handkins and a pinny! Have you seen them, Tabby Kitten?"

-- The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle, by Beatrix Potter


I can't think why I didn't share this little pinny when I made it in the fall, but I recently spotted it in Rosa's closet and thought it was high time it made an appearance. And since it's a pinafore lined with hedgehogs, it seemed only fitting to name it after little Lucie from my favorite Beatrix Potter story (even though it's a rather different kind of pinny than hers).

 

When I first found the Ainsley Pinafore pattern, I couldn't wait to make one for Rosa! Getting started was a process -- first finding the right fabric, then finally getting around to cutting it out -- but once construction was underway, it flew by. 

I found a narrow corduroy with a bit of stretch at JoAnn's. It's a bit heavy for this pattern and I wish it had a better drape, but it did the trick. I love the deep neckline and the ruffles on the straps!






The corduroy was too thick to self-line, and I liked the idea of a little contrast for the inside. Much to my delight, I had enough scrap from Rosa's Hedgehog dress and my double-point needle cases to line the bodice. I also used bits to line the waist of a skirt (which itself was made with leftovers from my Penny dress), so it's the fabric that keeps on giving! 




Rosa helped pick out two vintage buttons for the back. I like the elastic casing option, as I think it will make sizing more flexible. The one thing I don't like about sewing for littles is how fast they grow! Though Rosa has a few pieces she's worn for several years, thanks to my habit of making things too large...





I love sewing for my girl -- though each time I have to cut out a larger size, it's a reminder of how quickly she's growing up! I think it's time to sew up a spring/summer version of this pinny, so she can enjoy it year-round.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!