Sunday, October 16, 2022

Tiniest Blessing

 It's hard to believe, but it's true -- our sweet rainbow baby made it earthside, and is safely in our arms! Praise God for His astounding grace! 



I did fill out the birth announcement! In retrospect, it would have been much easier to
take an "internet friendly" photo before filling it out, rather than editing it out later...

"Kit" is absolutely precious and perfect, and we all adore him. It's so sweet to see his older siblings loving on him; it's been so long since there's been a baby in the house.

The days leading up to his birth were hardly "peaceful" -- our water heater died suddenly, storms took out the power the next day, and there was a baby shower scheduled on his due date! Happily, he cooperated and I didn't go into labor until the power was back on and he had been properly celebrated. We did have to wait a few extra days for the hot water, but at least we had the ability to heat it manually again (thank goodness I wasn't interested in a water birth!).



Wrinkly newborn hands


I was unsure what to expect with this birth -- you'd think I'd be more confident at this point, but it had been 5 years since I'd done this, and this was our first home birth. Also, my last birth was only 1 1/2 hrs from start to finish. Talk about a hard act to follow! Anything over two or three hours would surely seem disappointing by comparison.



Some of the lovely blooms arranged for Kit's
shower by a dear lady from our church


I'd had some prodromal labor over the past few weeks, mostly just the odd contraction here or there. But then I woke up at 3:30am and couldn't figure out why my stomach hurt. As the fog cleared, I realized that I'd had a contraction, stronger than the prodromal labor. The contractions continued every ten minutes or so, but as I sat on my birth ball and tracked them on my app, I realized two things. One, I was quite tired and wanted to sleep more! And two, there was no real progression, and therefore no reason to wake my husband or the midwife. I went back to sleep, waking every 13 to 20 minutes to record my contractions. I finally got up around 8, feeling a bit more rested but also confused -- I'd never had labor that just didn't progress! After five hours of mild, erratic contractions, nothing seemed to be happening. But I had some bleeding and the contractions weren't stopping, so surely this was the real deal? I let my midwife know, and continued to track contractions while I did some last minute prep and house cleaning,



Itty bitty baby toes -- how can a toenail be that tiny?


By 11, I was frustrated -- not so much because labor was difficult or tiring (I wasn't even vocalizing during contractions because they were quite mild), but because it was already my second longest labor with no sign of progress! My midwife checked in, and when I told her what was happening (or rather, what wasn't happening), she suggested that I do ten inversions -- while Kit had been in the same favorable birth position since his 20 week anatomy scan (left occipital anterior), it was possible that his head wasn't engaging in my pelvis properly. Apparently the solution to this is to put your knees on the couch and your forearms on the floor...while you're having a contraction. Let's just say this was NOT my favorite activity! 

My midwife and I agreed that I would let her know when active labor started; after four births, we were both confident I would know when it was "time." 

As I started doing the inversions, my contractions immediately grew closer and more consistent: 6-7 minutes apart. Still not active labor, but at least some definite progress! But after five inversions, I was hit with my strongest contraction yet -- I was certainly vocalizing now. Another strong contraction followed 2-3 minutes later, and I texted my midwife to let her know: 



There are just two minutes between my last text and
my husband's "announcement" text! Forgive all the
typos, we were all in a bit of a rush...


My husband had just gotten our daughter, who wanted to be there for the birth. As soon as I texted that I was feeling "pushy," I had another contraction.  This one was incredibly intense, and my immediate thought was, "I don't want to do this anymore!" That should have been a clue -- hitting the notorious "wall" in labor is a sure sign that birth is imminent. But I usually feel the urge to push before it's actually time, so I didn't think much of it (I was more concerned about how many of these intense contractions I was going to have before the actual birth!).

 I was leaning on our dresser during that contraction, and suddenly realized that the amount of pressure I was feeling could only mean one thing. I reached down and felt Kit's head, and I don't even remember pushing again as I caught the rest of him in my hands! He started crying straight away, and I held him to my chest while my husband helped me to the bed (which we'd fortunately prepared several hours earlier). My husband texted the midwife "he's here," so she called us and stayed on the phone while she drove to our house. Kit and I settled in for some skin-to-skin, and were snuggled up together when she arrived. So much for knowing when to call the midwife! Though, in my defense, I only had 4-6 minutes of what I'd call "active" labor. 



I was sure this thrifted Gap "wrap" top would be perfect for 
skin-to-skin, and it is! I love snuggling with this tiny fellow.


Birthing the placenta proved a bit trickier, as my contractions stopped altogether as soon as Kit came out. I got a dose of Angelica and then Blue & Black Cohosh before it cooperated. But I had barely any blood loss (not even a cup, according to the midwife), and felt great the entire time. 

Technically, Kit was born en caul, because my water broke after/while he emerged -- I've always hoped this would happen, and thought it might be possible since my waters have never broken on their own (with my first four births, my doctor/midwife ruptured the sac immediately prior to birth). But Kit's sac broke as I caught him, so I didn't get to "see" it; I've watched some insane videos of babies born entirely en caul, where they're basically still "in the womb" on the outside! It's exceedingly rare, though.



I'm terrible about actually taking time to recover post-birth,
but I'm doing my best to rest this time.

One thing I found odd was how clean Kit was after birth -- he wasn't goopy or messy at all! After we'd had a good, long snuggle, he had his exam. My initial guess was that he was less than 7 pounds, and he weighed in at barely over 7 pounds. It may seem strange, but this was an answer to...well, not so much a prayer as a hope. Scout was a whisper over 11 pounds at birth (a nurse at his birth had to go exchange the newborn diaper she had ready for a size 1! *wink*). While I would be overjoyed to welcome another baby of any size to our family, I really do love the tiny newborn phase. With Scout, I felt like I had birthed a toddler! My midwives had assured me that Kit was not a big baby, but I wouldn't have dared hope that he'd be our smallest yet. Especially since he "cooked" about two weeks longer than his three oldest siblings, who averaged 7 1/2 pounds.  Even newborn clothes seem generously sized, and he curls up into such a sweet little bundle. I'm savoring this phase...and ordering a few newborn diapers. 




They fit! I can't describe how wonderful it is to finally 
have two tiny feet inside these little booties.


I'm grateful that we planned a home birth -- not only would I have not even made it to the car under the circumstances, but without my midwife's knowledge of labor positions, who knows how long my labor would have lasted (perhaps even ending in an unnecessary C-section). As it turns out, our home birth was even better than I could have imagined! Our littles were able to meet their newest sibling right away, and no one had to wear a mask -- two things that would not be possible with current hospital regulations. I also felt far more rested than usual. No one took my baby away for exams, and there was no need to pack up and get in the car for the drive home. Perhaps best of all, we weren't rushing to the hospital; I've gone through transition during the ride to the hospital twice, and I wouldn't be disappointed to never repeat that experience! Admittedly, I was blessed with a birth easier than I would have dared ask for -- another gift that I do not take for granted. Bringing our rainbow baby into the world in such a peaceful (but exciting!) way was better than I could have dreamed. 

I'm trying to soak up every fleeting moment of this newborn phase. Kit is changing so much already, and I don't want to miss a thing! Happily, nursing has gone well despite a mild lip and tongue tie (and my body's confident belief in the first week or so that we're feeding ten babies! Haha...). In spite of ending up in the hospital for observation this week -- the longest 24 hours of my life , even though it was just a precaution -- Kit is thriving, and has been such a joy and delight. We're all hopelessly besotted.



Welcome to the world, little Kit!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To God be the glory, Great things He has Done!!! Rejoicing with you and your family, Shannon! Linn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great things, indeed! The Lord has been so merciful to us. Thank you for your kind words, Linn!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. OOOHHH Shannon! Praise the LORD for HE is to be praised! Congratulations to the whole family!! Kit is such a beautiful baby. I am thanking the LORD all went well. What an unusual birth story. Is this maybe a sneak peak on how his personality is going to be? Subtle, quiet, then BAM! (*wink*) May all of you rest and enjoy the wonderful gift the LORD has given. Praise the LORD and all glory to HIM.
    James 5:11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.
    Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carie,

      Amen! The glory is all His, and we are so grateful for His mercy to us!

      Haha, that thought had crossed my mind as well -- I'm curious to see his personality develop. ;-) Our other four children have unique personalities, yet it's hard to imagine how Kit could be different...but I know that he will be his own little person!

      I love that verse from James -- so true, and so beautiful. Thank you for your kind comment!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. Welcome, long-awaited Kit! Congratulations to you, too, mama! That's quite a birth story :) God bless you all as you get to know your precious new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! It's been a wild ride, for sure! ;-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  5. Dear Shannon,

    What a joy to read this post!! God is so good! I love all of the sweet pictures of Kit. He is precious! It is so beautiful to see his dear little feet in the booties you crocheted. : ) The story of his birth is remarkable! I am so thankful the Lord protected you both and blessed you with a safe delivery. We are sending many congratulations to you and your family!

    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      Thank you for the kind words, and for celebrating with us! I am certainly marveling at God's goodness in sending us this little one, and ever so grateful that he arrived safely.

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  6. Shannon, I'm is thrilled for your family. He's beautiful! Traci ( fairy yarn mother;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Traci! He's currently wearing a pair of booties made from your stash -- thank you for helping keep his toes cozy! :-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!