Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Littlest, Kit

As a frugal person who prefers minimal interventions during pregnancy, I never would have imagined paying for an elective ultrasound. But with strict hospital visitor regulations, an utter lack of patience on my part, and the discovery that a blood gender test would actually cost more than the ultrasound -- well, for the first time in twelve pregnancies, we found ourselves at a private ultrasound studio so we could find out the gender of our rainbow baby as a family. Our only ultrasound thus far had been at eight weeks, during the "jelly bean" phase. In other words, not much to see other than the actual presence of a baby! But at 16 weeks, I knew there would be more shape and movement, and this would give our children the opportunity to see their little sibling in utero. Besides, it was hard to imagine waiting another twelve weeks to see the baby at our anatomy scan. Yes, yes, I know for most of human history ultrasounds haven't even been an option... It turned out to be a wonderful experience, and both the facility and the employees were lovely. Just a brief appointment, which suited my low-intervention preference, but we got to see our sweet baby moving around and -- most importantly -- found out the gender!

All of our children have been team girl, for the simple reason that Rosa is the only sibling that doesn't have a sister. But it should come as no surprise that our newest addition is another BOY! 



We celebrated with treats, and Little Man and Rosa helped me pick out a few things for the baby at a local consignment shop; they were so sweet as they oohed and aahed over all the little baby clothes. 

I'm always impatient to find out the gender of my babies, but with this pregnancy it's been elevated more than usual. Part of that may be that technology has advanced since Scout was born, and knowing that early blood tests are readily available makes it harder to wait. But I also think it's because I feel like I'd been waiting for a "gender reveal" not for the sixteen weeks of this pregnancy, but for one hundred seventy-four weeks -- that's how long it had been since we lost Baby J, just a few weeks before his anatomy scan. I know time is precious with each baby, that there's no guarantee of another week or another scan. And even though a stronger bond may ultimately make loss more heartbreaking, I'd rather take that risk than stay detached (though each pregnancy-after-loss mama is unique in their feelings about that). I'm so grateful for every day with this baby boy.


From left to right: hand + arm (upper left corner), profile, heartbeat

Of course, now my husband and I are faced with naming this baby! We have so many girl names that we both like, but both struggle to find mutually acceptable boy names. It's a dilemma I relish, though -- what a joy to have a little boy to name. Figuring out a blog non de plume was comparatively simple, to my surprise (it's often not). Foxes are one of my favorite animals, and fox babies are called "kits." Well, Kit also happens to be a nickname for Christopher, a name I've loved since childhood but my husband has vetoed. So here on the blog, this little one will be "Kit." 

Somehow the anatomy scan that seemed ages away is just around the corner, and I've started feeling the sweetest little movements over the past week. Little reminders that as much as this all seems like a dream, it is wonderfully, delightfully real. Praise God for His mercies!

PS -- Of course, there are knitting and sewing details to follow!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm praying that Kit continues to grow and thrive, and that he'll be snuggling in those adorable handknits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So many answered prayers already, and I'm grateful for each one.

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous beautiful pictures ,every child is a wonderful blessing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlene! They are blessings, indeed.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Congratulations and rejoicing with all of you! May the LORD be praised and magnified and continue to lead all of you through the pregnancy and birth! I have a feeling that once Kit is here, he is going to be one very loved boy by his siblings! :) You'll have many hands ready to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carie! We are so grateful for the Lord's mercies throughout this pregnancy. And yes, I suspect Kit's only problem will be *too* much love from his siblings! ;-) I'm looking forward to having bigger helpers this time around.

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!